Monday, September 28, 2009

From GHC04 to GHC09!

On the eve of GHC09, I can't help but think back to the last time I attended this conference in 2004. It was the first time I had the opportunity to participate in anything like this, having so many wonderful women in computing gather in one place to share their experiences. I could relate to many presentation topics, and all the advice I received were spot on.

I am very excited to be able to attend GHC again and be a part of the online community too! In preparation to attending the conference, I was flipping through my notes from GHC04. I found some great advice I jotted down throughout the event, here are a select few:
  • there is not just one route to the top
  • networks are critical to advancement and mobility
  • learn early to promote yourself, make it a part of your being
  • the earlier your career, the more important your manager's role is
  • dare to be different and create your own styles
  • build up your support network wherever they are
I was filled with ideas and thoroughly inspired after the last conference, so I really can't wait for the next one to begin!

No comments: