Saturday, September 12, 2009

An Imposter Story

The Imposter Syndrome is a major topic tackled at Grace Hopper. There's going to be a panel about it this year on Friday at 4:15:
The "imposter syndrome" is a common yet typically unacknowledged condition where those experiencing it have difficulties believing in and internalizing their own accomplishments. The panel will provide an opportunity for audience members to see that they are not alone in having “imposter” fears, and to hear how the distinguished panelists have coped with and surmounted challenges in self-confidence.
It can be such a deeply personal topic, and as such, I truly commend the women on this panel for standing in front of a large crowd and telling their stories.

I just wrote a bit of my own story on my blog. It was weird writing it out, because I don't normally put a lot of conscious thought into whether I deserve to be where I am. I just do it because I love it. But as you'll see, that doesn't mean I can always be safe from the terrible feeling of being an imposter! Read all about it here.

I have to admit, sharing my story has been therapeutic. I hope you'll find a medium to share yours, too!

No comments: